Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Memoirs of a Deaf Physician part 1

I have decided to leave a legacy for my children.  A memoir for them and others with similar interests in the obstacles one faces in my shoes.  I have started a book called, A Walk in My Moccasins, Memoirs of a Deaf Physician.  I hope the stories are interesting to those with hearing disabilities or those who just want some heartwarming stories of events that have shaped my life to become what it is. 

Starting a book is no easy chore.  I work over 60 hours a week, take care of patients both in the hospital and in the clinic.  I see nursing home and rehab patients.  To pay off medical school, I work in the ER and urgent care part time.  So in the midst of all the medicine I practice, I find myself reminiscing about my past, and seeing how my patience has developed.  I notice how the empathy developed, how I could easily share feelings with a patient.  Developing the desire to serve the public was a long arduous journey, and I can say that many many mistakes were made and many lucky chances I received to get here. 

Writing is a personal passion I had when I first saw dad reading his books all the time.  His constant reading and his depth of knowledge captivated my young mind, and allowed me to discover more knowledge through reading and writing.  My writing has developed since college when I was held back as a freshman on English 101.  It takes time, and practice.  It was a hurdle, like the many hurdles we all faced to get where we are in life. 

I hope you all enjoy some of these small portions from the book that is still currently being written.  Right now I have about 19,800 words with a goal of 50,000 words by the end of the year.  Wish me luck.  I hope you all stay safe and healthy. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment