Thursday, March 10, 2011

Befriending Patients

I have only been in practice for almost 2 years, but developed meaningful relationships with my patients.  I'm lucky that I have laughed more than cried with my patients.  Actually, I haven't cried at all just yet, but I did when I was a medical student, and as a nurse before that.  I feel though, that I might cry soon for one of my patients.  I've enjoyed our clinic visits, and the one hospitalization he had with me.  His disease is overtaking him quickly, but he is comfortable in hospice. 

Some may think it is taboo to befriend patients, especially in the medical field.  I beg to differ.  Some will say that you lose objectivity, and I beg to differ.  Befriending any patient is paramount to good care.  As the saying goes, people don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care.  My patient, my friend, this one is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment