Friday, April 22, 2011

The Hippocratic Oath part 2


The teachers pave the many trails of education.  Directly proportional to the time they spend teaching is the success of the student.  Most teachers I hope still believe in what they do.  When I read the 2nd paragraph, to understand it clearly, I understand more importantly the value of the Art of Medicine.   During the years of medical school, internship, and residency, I respected those who taught me.  They have given me their time and energy, and thus invested in me trust for the common people. 


Considered an art long ago, now an advanced science, Medicine has now become so ubiquitous as to be a part of government intervention.  The United States government now invests nearly 4 billion dollars into Cancer research alone.  The medical community is truly blessed to be able to research newer ways to assist in treating patients.  None of this would be possible without our many professors of medicine.  Hippocrates saw this as an art however, back in the ancient times.  The second paragraph divulges into the arena of those who taught the art. 

To consider dear to me, as my parents, him who taught me this art; to live in common with him and, if necessary, to share my goods with him; To look upon his children as my own brothers, to teach them this art.

Nowadays in med school we are taught all of the science of medicine.  We learn the mundane details down to the chemical reaction between the molecules in all physiological pathways.  We learn the various organic structures in pharmacology.  But we forget sometimes about the Art of Medicine. 

Hippocrates reasons that the bonds of our fellow colleagues include an understanding of what Medicine really is.  While the scientific method wasn’t constructed until way after Hippocrates wrote his treatise, the basis of most science started with an Art.  Early astrologers painted stars before they realized that a mathematical construct could predict when stars would be in certain points in the sky.  Early inventors practiced many voluminous drawings of possible technology prior to creation of the machinations detailed by scientific knowledge.

I remember watching a German film in med school Ethics Class, "I Accuse! (Ich klage an!).”  In this movie, a woman with multiple sclerosis asks her husband, a doctor, to permanently relieve her of her suffering. He agrees to give her a lethal injection of morphine. At his trial he argues that he committed an act of mercy, not murder. He is acquitted. 

Medicine in some countries practice assisted suicide, and we learned that ethics and law dictate a lot of what we are able to do with our patients.  I remember the patient actors and actresses who play acted their disease process and we were graded on how well we listened, how our diction sounded, and how much compassion we showed.  It was good practice, and I just now remember that it was part of the art of medicine. 

Teaching Ethics in Medicine, the principle of beneficence, self autonomy.  Directly corresponding to a Constitutional right to life liberty and pursuit of happiness, medical ethics opened our eyes.

The professors themselves were varied in style in personalities, and color.  I learned a lot from few and a little from a lot, but I always respected them as the expert.  I depended on every word they said.  Having a hearing impairment required me to pay very close attention at the front of the class.  That attention I paid in lectures is the same attention I pay to my patients.  I am intending to help someone, so I need to be listening intently. 

Now practicing medicine has allowed me to teach others, my patients, my nurses, assistants, and anyone who is willing to follow the wonderful education of medical knowledge.  I hope to help set a good standard for others to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment