Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Hippocratic oath part 3

The study of Medicine allows us to utilize pharmaceuticals.  We trust our knowledge of the pathophysiology of the human body to determine which drugs are safe, and which ones are not.  We trust our knowledge to benefit patients and not harm them.  We studied the physiology of medicines and their effects on the body, and therefore feel confident when we prescribe them.  The 3rd part of the Hippocratic oath says:

"I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone."

Our healthcare system has now evolved to include many different therapies that assist patients back to health.  Physical therapy improves strength, flexibility, and range of motion.  Occupational therapy improves activities of daily living.  In home care, senior services improve the lives of senior citizens.  New medicines improve different aspects of our illnesses.  Chiropractic medicine improves alignment and pain.  The healthcare system is massive and impressive.  As a physician, I have promised to utilize regimens to improve my patients' lives.  I am happy to be a social servant.  It is not just a job.  It is a calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment