Thursday, April 28, 2011

Med School Memory Part 1

Studying in medical school was especially difficult for me.  Although I sat in front of the class, I still missed a lot of what was said.  Having a note service helped, but still some things were missed.  Therefore, I spent extra time reading.  Getting up at 0400 hours was not unusual.  I would go for a run in the morning, and then hit the books.  My support system evolved around my closest friends.  But none of them usually got up early with me.  I would read for an hour, sipping a Red Bull, or local convenience store coffee.  Taking multiple small breaks so I would not fall asleep was essential.  Then came the lectures.  They started at 0800 and seemed to go on forever.  Breaks were lifelines of emotional oxygen.  At lunch, I would break out my peanut butter and jelly sandwich and go to town.  Sometimes I would try to take a power nap during lunch.  Another 3 to 4 hours of afternoon lecture, and then we were free. 

I saved money by checking out my text books from the library.  I had to read and re read chapters right there in the library.  I would use Kaplan study seminars on video tape to get ready for USMLE Step 1, or 2.  After studying I would probably go to the gym and work out.  Staying sane meant physical exertion and activity.  I enjoyed intramural sports like flag football or basketball.  In the evening, I would try to relax and that was when my roommate Eddie would be studying.  Thinking back, I thought the medical school years were the best of my life.  However, I am wrong, because these are the best years.  The circle of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment