Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Med School Memory 2

My favorite class by far was Gross Anatomy.  Our teacher was a big bear of a man but gentle as a cub.  He had black hair with specks of gray with a matching moustache.  I really had to strain to listen to him because he spoke in a hushed tone.  He always had a twinkle in his eye, as if talking about anatomy excited him.  He had a permanent smile even while he talked.  His lectures were long and boring but his demeanor and gentility made him a favorite. 

Each year the students at Creighton University School of Medicine have a memorial service for all the people we studied from in Gross Anatomy.  As a tribute of respect for both the people we studied, and to the family members, we have a touching ceremony to honor them appropriately.  We get to name each of our bodies.  We gave our lady the name "Ethel."  She was a small fragile 80 plus year old lady who was perfect for dissection.  She had the smallest amount of fat tissue of all the bodies.  Each day we dissected more and marvelled at how lucky we were to have such a fine specimen to learn from.  I met a good guy who was part of my team of 4 medical students.  We will call him, "Chad."  He was a like a California surfer boy.  Easy going, laid back, slightly longer hair, and easy smile who could play the guitar.  He and I really enjoyed Anatomy and we stayed late after classes and came in early on some days to go over what could possibly be on the test. 

My scrubs always smelled like formaldehyde.  I can still smell it if i think about it.  It permeated my car, and made dates miserable.  I didn't care.  I was in Heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment