Monday, April 4, 2016

Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread

I have been doing Emergency Medicine full time since August of last year.  This has enabled me to do two things. 

One is to be a better father to my kids.  Before in clinic, I didn't see my kids much, didn't eat lunch with them, took them on Daddy dates sparsely, and effectively helped ruin my marriage.  Now I have full days and multiple days off where I can learn to be someone else. 

If I want to learn a dance or song and play piano, I can do it.  If I want to read a book, I can finish it.  I am laid back now, and feel like I have some time to do things that make myself happy. 

I can belt out some scary lyrics on the Karaoke machine to the delight of my kids who somehow amazingly still think I am the greatest thing since sliced bread.  And this has enabled me to do another thing. 

Be comfortable in myself.  This is important for I have fallen victim to feeling persecuted all my life while trying to impress other people, to win favor with other people, or to "get ahead."  My personal journey has led me here, and now I think I can cruise into my more mature years with a light heart.

I wish this for everyone, that you have a light heart.  Be well, healthy and safe!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment