Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Treating Anxiety without Drugs

Having grown up with a language disorder because of my hearing loss, I often developed some social anxiety during school.  My nail bitten fingers constantly yearned for manicures.

After graduating high school, and getting my first digital hearing aids, I quickly learned to deal with anxiety in other ways.  I started running in nursing school, and increased to marathon training, which gave me complete and total relaxation in all settings. 

As a medical doctor in the emergency room, I meet a lot of patients who suffer from PTSD, Stress Reaction, Anxiety disorder, and Major Depressive Disorder.  While it is easy to diagnose and treat these symptoms with medicine, I often overlook a more conservative approach to the treatment of these problems. 

A recent article in the American Family Physician noted a systemic review of 19 randomized controlled trials, (RCT [the best kind of research study]) showed that cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) or relaxation training, alone or in combination, can be used to treat anxiety in adults. 

The authors also found that music therapy reduced anxiety in older adults.  This is a very good thing.  It is wise to focus on some conservative therapy prior to initiating medical treatment for a wide variety of illnesses.  I am excited to add this regimen to my management of these patients. 

No comments:

Post a Comment